United Physicians, Inc. is Michigan’s largest health management company. Founded in 2000, United Physicians is an independent physician organization representing more than 2,200 physicians with medical staff privileges at hospitals throughout Southeast Michigan. Our mission is to deliver a healthcare system of excellence to our community through a coordinated, efficient and integrated network of physicians. We invite you to join us.
Physician members must be board certified or board-eligible (certified within 5 years of completion of training) in order to apply to United Physicians. Once credentialed each physician is expected to adhere to the policies and standards developed by United Physicians from time to time. Currently, the requirements are as follows:
Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) & Internet Connectivity
It is highly recommended that physicians meet the following health information technology standards:
- Have electronic connectivity with our Health IT team in order to facilitate data exchange.
- Utilize electronic prescribing, either through an EMR or a stand-alone product that allows data exchange with United Physicians.
- Utilize a disease registry capable of sharing data with UP and other physicians.
- Have high-speed internet access in office.
- Submit all claims through EDI.
- United Physicians operates under a messanger model, enabling each physician to opt-in to the contracted arrangement(s) of his/her choice.
- It is highly recommended that physicians participate in Health Plan contracts through UP. Physicians do not need to participate in all plans.
- Physicians who elect to participate with Blue Cross, Blue Shield of Michigan (BCBSM) reward programs such as Physician Group Incentive Program (PGIP), Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH), and Organized Systems of Care (OSC) with UP are expected to direct patient care (when clinically appropriate) to other UP members/facilities and follow policies and procedures relating thereto.
It is highly recommended that physician members:
- Agree to follow the utilization and quality programs, guidelines and clinical pathways adopted by UP and as applicable to the relevant health benefit or incentive program.
- Participate in the clinical integration program to interconnect, electronically, all physician members of UP.
- Agree to participate in disease registries, electronic prescribing, electronic exchange of information, and electronic medical records.
- Practive quality, cost-effective medicine as monitored by UP for conformance with various metrics and benchmarks.
- Participate with peers in his/her specialty in population health management, or other programs designed to assist members with integration or value-based medicine strategies.
- Membership in an integrated network of credentialed physicians.
- Participation in equitable agreements with health plans with significant opportunities for incentives. United Physicians participates with the largest health plans and managed care organizations in Southeast Michigan.
- Knowing that a physician-led organization is advocating on behalf of its physicians, in relations with health plans, hospitals or ancillary providers and serves as a steward for the private practice of medicine.
- Assistance with implementation of clinical integration, patient registries, EMR and e-prescribing, meaningful use, and HIPAA-compliant communication between physician practices.
- Assistance with demonstrating quality and compliance through accountability and sound medical management tools and practices, which translates to eligibility for increased reimbursement, incentives and other value based programs with payers.
- Access to value-added services and comprehensive business resources such as group purchasing and vaccine purchasing programs to improve the financial performance of your practice.
- Access to educational and networking opportunities for you and your employees through UP Leadership Meetings, office manager forums, and specialized programs such as LEAN and Practice Optimization.
To join United Physicians, please complete the Request for Membership Form. If you have any questions or need additional information, contact Karen Schuessler at (248) 593-0147 or